Questions? +91 99200 30136
What is MBBS / BDS?
1. WHAT IS MBBS?
MBBS stands for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery. The naming suggests that they are two separate degrees; however, in practice, they are usually treated as one and awarded together. Professionals holding MBBS degrees are referred to by the courtesy title of "Doctor" and use the prefix "Dr". The degrees are the British equivalent of the American M.D. Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirurgiae (abbreviated in various ways, viz. MBBS or MBChB, MB BS, MB BChir, BM BCh, MB BCh, MB ChB, BM BS, BM, BMed etc.), are the two first professional degrees awarded upon graduation from medical school in medicine and surgery by universities in United Kingdom and and other places following the British tradition, such as Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, New Zealand, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.
The basic or degree level qualification for a medical profession is MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine And Bachelor of Surgery) which is of 5 1/2 years duration (including 1 year internship). Selection for MBBS is through an All India Entrance Examination. The qualification required for entrance is 10+2 or equivalent with Science subjects. In the case of private medical colleges entrance examinations are conducted by the institutes individually. Every student shall undergo a period of over 4 1/2 academic years divided into 9 semesters, followed by one year compulsory rotating internship. Medical education in India is regulated by Medical Council of India.
In India Medical education is offered at four levels:
- First degree - Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
- Postgraduate diplomas in specific areas such as Child Health (DCH)
- Laryngology and Otology (DLO)
- Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGO) and postgraduate degree in broad specialities – Doctor of Medicine (MD) Master of Surgery (MS)
- Postgraduate degree (Super Specialities) - Doctor of Medicine (DM), and Master of Chirurgiae (MCh) also known as post-doctoral degrees Research degree M.Phil and PHD.
2 .WHAT IS BDS?
BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery. In India BDS degree is awarded at the successful completion of four years of study and one year of internship to the students as per the old regulations of Dental council of India. According to new regulations, the BDS course comprises of five years with no internship period. Post graduate courses (Master of Dental Surgery. MDS) are also available in different specialties. It requires 3 years of study after BDS.
Dentistry is the branch of medicine that is involved in the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, the maxillofacial area and the adjacent and associated structures, and their impact on the human body. While pursuing the course, one learns about different aspects of Dental Science, which includes various forms of treatment including surgical procedures.
- Dental materials, Dental anatomy & Oral histology
- Oral Pathology, Community Dentistry, Pedodontics
- Oral Medicine & Radiology are some of the topics that are generally taught.
- After pursuing BDS course, one can work as dentist in government or private hospitals or open up his/her own clinic, to serve the society.